Mathematics is one of the most chosen subjects among students who want to pursue a career in IITs. Through the IIT JAM Entrance exam, which is conducted by IITs and IISC many students get the opportunity to get their foot in various IIT Colleges for postgraduate programs.
Many students have been carrying a big dream of IIT in their eyes and have already started working on it. So, let’s talk about a few things which you need for the preparation to get a seat in IIT colleges.
This year IIT JAM Mathematics exam will be on February 9, 2020, in session 2 i.e. from 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM.
First of all, to clear the exam, you need to have appropriate information about the Basic Structure and Marking Scheme of the exam. So, let’s have a quick glance at the Basic pattern of the exam.
BASIC PATTERN OF EXAM –
IIT JAM is a computer-based exam of 3 hours comprising 60 questions in total. Primary Structure of Question paper is as follows:
|EXAM||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||TYPE OF QUESTIONS||TOTAL MARKS|
|SECTION 1||30||MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS||50|
|SECTION 2||10||MULTIPLE SELECT QUESTIONS||20|
|SECTION 3||20||NUMERICAL ANSWER||30|
Marking Scheme for each section in IIT JAM Mathematics:
HOW TO PREPARE?
IIT JAM is an exam that can be cracked with the right strategy and strong preparation. So, here are some preparatory tips that you must follow to achieve your dream of getting a seat in top IIT colleges.
SYLLABUS – While preparing for any Entrance exam it is very important to keep an eye on the syllabus too as “you can start the journey to the destination only if you know the starting point”. IIT Kanpur has released the IIT JAM Mathematics syllabus.
Most important Topics- Chapter-wise most important topics and their marks in IIT JAM 2017 to 2019 is shown below:
|Calculus of single variable||18||19||19|
|Calculus of 2 variables||14||17||14|
Books to follow – The selection of good books plays a vital role in clearing an exam. Some of the best and most recommended books from education experts and IIT JAM Mathematics toppers are listed below:
Once you complete all the topics from these books, I would suggest you go through the Arihant Publications book to practice all last year’s question papers.
Study Strategy –
1. Set a target of completing 2 chapters per day with all of its questions solved thoroughly.
2. Grill yourself into the basics until all your concepts are clear because without a proper base there would be no attitude.
3. In the last month of the exam, solve one sample paper on a regular basis and while practicing, always set up a stopwatch. Try to complete questions within 3 hours of time.
4. Time management is an important key in the exam. Hence, focus to increase your speed along with accuracy day by day. The next day should be better than the previous day.
5. While studying, always take a small break in between. Do not study for longer hours. Taking short breaks will help you to relax and to again pace up the practice with a fresh mind.
This is pretty much all you need to know to ace the IIT JAM Mathematics exam.
Get, Set, Go!